Curtain Falls on St. Augustine's Celtic Festival and St. Patrick Parade After 15 Years
St. Johns Community Website
Events

Curtain Falls on St. Augustine's Celtic Festival and St. Patrick Parade After 15 Years

·4 min read·
React
Join the conversation

The St. Augustine Celtic Music & Heritage Festival and the St. Patrick Parade that goes with it are over permanently, Romanza-St. Augustine announced this week, ending a 15-year run at Francis Field and taking one of the biggest weekends on the St. Johns County calendar off the books for 2027 and beyond. Thousands of local families planned their March around it: the bands, the Highland Games, the whiskey tasting, the pipes coming down the street downtown.

Romanza President Albert Syeles, an organizer since the festival began in 2011, said the reasons stack up. State arts grants have been out of reach since 2024. Support from local government has thinned. Labor and supply costs went up and stayed up. And international bands, the heart of the lineup, kept getting tangled in the federal work-visa process.

Syeles put a number on the funding gap. Roughly $40,000 a year in grants over the past four years, he said, would have added up to enough to stage the festival one more time.

$160,000
grant money organizers say would have bought one more year

The grant math

The first hit was COVID, which gutted the 2020 event. The second, according to Syeles, was the governor's 2024 veto of $32 million in state cultural grant funding, which wiped out arts money statewide for that budget year. Lawmakers restored funding the following year, but Syeles said changes to how applications are scored have kept the festival from qualifying ever since. He estimated about 80 percent of cultural grant applications across Florida are now denied.

The pressure on that pot of money is real and documented. Florida's Department of State told a legislative subcommittee last year that it was pausing the 2026 grant cycle to rewrite its guidance and scoring after nearly 800 applications came in seeking more than $80 million, against a $26 million appropriation. The rule covering those revisions was filed for adoption in November 2025.

Syeles said the Celtic Festival will not be the last casualty, and that other Florida events are already canceling. That is the part local arts groups, from small galleries to the county's other heritage festivals, will be watching.

Bands that couldn't get in

The visa problem was quieter but just as damaging. Groups coming from Ireland, Scotland and Canada typically file for U.S. work authorization about nine months out and used to hear back within a few months. Lately, Syeles said, approvals have landed a few weeks before showtime. Last year one band was denied outright at the last minute, leaving organizers scrambling with no notice.

Booking a two-day festival around paperwork that might not clear is not a sustainable way to run an event, and Syeles was blunt about the toll. He said he is disappointed, that a lot of people are disappointed, and that at his age it has simply gotten too hard.

What St. Augustine loses

The festival grew from a 2011 start into one of Northeast Florida's largest cultural gatherings, drawing Celtic bands from both sides of the Atlantic along with Highland Games athletes, artists, food vendors and the whiskey tasting that kicked off the weekend on the Friday. It was named among the top 10 cultural festivals in the country in both 2025 and 2026.

The parade carried heavier historical freight. St. Augustine hosted what historians have identified as the first St. Patrick's Day observance anywhere in what is now the United States, in 1600, and the parade was the city's annual claim to that title. Nothing has been announced to replace it.

The 2026 edition, which turned out to be the last, ran March 14 and 15 at Francis Field, with the whiskey tasting on March 13. The Canadian band The Mudmen closed the main stage on that final Sunday. Nobody in the crowd knew it was the end.

Romanza isn't going away

The nonprofit says it will keep backing cultural programming in the Old City, including its spring Romanza Festivale. Organizers have not said whether the Celtic Festival's name, or the parade, could be picked up by another group. Syeles said he hopes the state's approach to arts grants shifts under a future administration, and that Romanza will keep watching how the rewritten scoring rules play out.

Residents who want to weigh in on state cultural grant guidelines can follow the process through the Florida Division of Arts and Culture.

For more local coverage, visit St. Johns Community Website, follow us on Facebook, and join the conversation in our Community Forum. Have a favorite March tradition you think should fill the gap? Tell us there. You can also read more local events stories and community news.

Header photo: Reviewer32086 / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Keep reading

Add your email to finish this story and get St. Johns news as it happens.

By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy, and to receive news and community updates by email. Unsubscribe anytime.

Comments

Sign inas a community member to join the conversation. It's free!

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!

Stay connected with St. Johns

Follow us for the latest community news and updates

Local Sponsorship

Own a local business?

Be the local name behind St. Johns news. Your ad on every page. Free professional ad design · No contracts.

Get Started